The phrase “great man” has been in use since ancient times to refer to a man of character and impact. It described a man who was a leader, who changed his generation for the better, and who lived an exemplary life. Stephen Mansfield has decided to use this phrase to define the gatherings he is conducting around the country in the wake of the release of his book, Mansfield’s Book of Manly Men. Retreats, seminars, informal gatherings and webinars are being scheduled rapidly. Be sure to follow Stephen on Twitter at @MansfieldWrites and to check in on this site to get the latest news about these happenings. If you’re interested in a GreatMan event for your area, church, business or network, contact us here: Info@StephenMansfield.tv.
2014 will probably be remembered at The Mansfield Group as the year Stephen began using “webinars” to teach and train. Starting soon, Stephen will be rolling out a number of webinars to teach and train people around the world. For those new to the term, a webinar is a seminar conducted online in such a way that a nearly endless number of people can watch and interact. This format allows a live experience that would likely never be possible otherwise. Stephen intends to do webinars on a variety of topics and is excited about the possibilities of new conference technologies that make joining his webinars both simple and enjoyable. Sign up on the subscription bar at the top of this page to receive news of upcoming webinars. Also, be sure to follow Stephen on Twitter at @MansfieldWrites.
Less than a week ago, the headline of an article circulating on the Internet caught our eye. It read, “What Book Had Glenn Beck Reading Poetry on the Air?” It turned out that the book in question was Stephen’s Mansfield’s Book of Manly Men. We later learned that Beck had seen the book on the desk of one of his producers. He bought a copy and read it over the Thanksgiving holiday. It apparently spoke to the broadcaster at a critical time in his life. He read from the book and commented upon it every day for a week before Stephen appeared on Beck’s show. There are now plans for Stephen to appear again on the show to flesh out the vision of manhood described in the new book. Watch Stephen’s interview with Glenn Beck here: Glenn Beck Interview
Stephen Mansfield’s latest book, Mansfield’s Book of Manly Men, released on November 19 and three weeks later is already a bestseller. The book has topped two Amazon bestseller lists and is certain to top still other lists in the months to come. When asked about the book’s early success, Stephen said, “I have the privilege of writing a book about men being great men just at a time when men of our generation are desperate for someone to point the way. My book is there to help. I also think the wonderful job Thomas Nelson did on the book’s design makes it attractive to buyers. And you can’t beat an endorsement of the book by Winston Churchill’s great-grandson!”
Mansfield’s Book of Manly Men
An Utterly Invigorating Guide to Being Your Most Masculine Self
“This book is a must read for every American male. We must restore the understanding of what it means to be manly men.”
–Lt. Gen. William G. Boykin (ret.), former Commander, Delta Force
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — New York Times best-selling author, Stephen Mansfield, most known for his books on faith, history and contemporary culture, is set to release a unique work, “Mansfield’s Book of Manly Men,” on Nov. 19, 2013, to explore manly virtues by examining the lives of the manliest of men.
“My goal in this book is simple,” said Mansfield, “I want to identify what a genuine man does—the virtues, the habits, the disciplines, the duties, the actions of true manhood—and then call men to do it.”
According to Mansfield, masculinity is more than an identity. It’s a discipline—something requiring cultivation. For that one needs the help of many teachers, mentors, fathers, and brothers. In “Mansfield’s Book of Manly Men,” Mansfield introduces readers to 30 great men of history. Some are soldiers, some are revolutionaries, some are prime ministers, and some are adventurers—and they all have something unique to teach us about manliness:
- Vision, told through the story of Rudyard Kipling
- Humor, told through the story of G. K. Chesterton
- Power, told through the story of George Washington
- Legacy, told through the story of Winston Churchill
In each chapter, Mansfield not only tells the stories of great men, but distills from their challenges and triumphs a key lesson that will show readers how to develop vital manly virtues.
“Mansfield’s Book of Manly Men,” also introduces the reader to “Mansfield’s Manly Maxims,” beginning with the simple but profound Mansfield’s Manly Maxim No. 1: Manly Men Do Manly Things.
“The healing is in the doing,” said Mansfield. “Our society tends to talk about its problems but isn’t as adept at action to solve problems. Men need to know what to do to be great men. This is particularly true of young men today.”
“’Mansfield’s Book of Manly Men’ cuts to the heart of what it means to be a true man,” said Jonathan Jackson, star of ABC’s “Nashville.” “In a culture where authentic masculinity is often buried beneath myriad counterfeits and stereotypes, Mansfield’s vision of manhood is a refreshing and challenging ideal. Society says being a real man means driving expensive cars, owning a big house, dominating a woman, and not being bound to anything except the advancement of your own career. In contrast, Mansfield reminds us that to be a true man is to be honest, humble, compassionate, responsible, courageous and faithful. I hope many people read this book, including my sons.”
Mansfield’s book seeks to counteract “all of the truly insulting TV commercials and sitcoms” portraying men today. The book also includes a list of 50 “Manly Men” quotes to inspire, manly movies to be watched and manly books to be read.
Mansfield hopes this fun, humorous book will impact the Millennial Generation in particular, by offering a blueprint of a true man.
Endorsements received for Mansfield’s
Book of Manly Men
- “I’m sick to death of seeing men portrayed as bumbling morons in movies and TV commercials. We’re living in a culture that tries to make masculinity a punch line, and it’s having a devastating effect on our families and society. In Mansfield’s Book of Manly Men, Stephen takes the bold, potentially offensive step of calling men to be men again. It’s about time!”
New York Times best-selling author and nationally syndicated radio show host
- “We live in such a fast paced society and yet many of our men sit around and do nothing! It’s time to get off the bench and get in the game. In ‘Mansfield’s Book of Manly Men,’ Stephen challenges us to do the very thing God has intended for us to do…act!. To act like men and do what men do. Buckle your chinstrap before you pick up this book because it’s truth and its challenge will hit you like you’ve never been hit. A must read for every man!”
Former NFL Quarterback/Head of Football, Episcopal School of Jacksonville
- “Stephen Mansfield gives us yet another fantastic book, this time covering a topic so misunderstood and misrepresented in society today. He creates a blueprint for true manhood, building upon stories from the world’s greatest men—one of whom was my great-grandfather, Winston Churchill. I applaud Stephen for the massive research he has done. I will read this book again and again and learn something new every time. Mansfield truly is a ‘Manly Man.’
Great-grandson of Sir Winston Churchill
- “Mansfield’s Book of Manly Men cuts to the heart of what it means to be a true man. In a culture where authentic masculinity is often buried beneath myriad counterfeits and stereotypes, Mansfield’s vision of manhood is a refreshing and challenging ideal. Replete with inspiring biographies of heroic men, interwoven with spiritual insight; this is a book of action, initiation and honor. Society says being a real man means driving expensive cars, owning a big house, dominating a woman and not being bound to anything except the advancement of your own career. In contrast, Mansfield reminds us that to be a true man is to be honest, humble, compassionate, responsible, courageous, and faithful. I hope many people read this book, including my sons.”
star of the hit ABC show Nashville
Points to Consider
* Each chapter concludes with action items: “What then will you do? How will you show yourself a man?”
* This book is ideal for men who desire to cultivate masculinity in all areas of their lives: family, work, play, faith and more.
* This book stresses the importance of seeking out manly mentors. Every man needs another man to teach him the true virtues of masculinity.
* Mansfield warns if we don’t teach this new generation, we will reap the consequences with angry, dislocated, socially isolated young men on a large scale.
* Mansfield believes the “Promise Keeper” generation needs to help teach the new generation of men how to be men. More doing, less talking.
* Includes The Ten Essential Movies for Manly Men.